This page contains information about manually importing grades from Turnitin in cases when
Export Grades from Turnitin
- Log in to http://turnitin.psu.edu and enter the class which includes grades to export.
- Click the Grade Book tab to display the gradebook for the Turnitin class.
- Click the Export button begin the process.
- Save the exported Excel spreadsheet in a location you can easily access.
- The spreadsheet can now be manipulated to allow the data to be incorporated with other grading data.
Canvas Grade Import
- Make sure you have created an Assignment within Canvas for each Turnitin assignment. The Assignment should be set to have the same points as the assignment in Turnitin and Submission Type can be set to No Submission.
- Follow the instructions at the Canvas Community to download the student scores as a comma delimited (.csv) file. The columns for Turnitin assignments will be blank.
Note: This process may take a few minutes.
- Save and open the .csv file in Excel.
- Export the student gradebook from Turnitin following instructions from the section above.
- Save and open the Excel spreadsheet from Turnitin.
- Ensure that both spreadsheets are sorted alphabetically by student last name.
Note: Both the sheets from Canvas and Turnitin contain the full student name in the first column but are sorted by last name by default.
- Copy the assignment grades from Turnitin into the appropriate Canvas Assignment column. You can copy values for multiple columns as needed.
Note: The Turnitin roster may contain students who have dropped the course and are no longer in the Canvas roster. Make sure that grades are entered for the correct student.
- Save the Canvas CSV file with the same file name.
- Reimport the file into Canvas following the instructions from uploading changes into the Gradebook.
Note: Only changed values will be imported, but the process could take a few minutes.
ANGEL Grade Import
Information about importing grades into ANGEL can be accessed at the IT Knowledge Bases. Some recommended articles include:
Extract Student Userid
The grade export file includes a student’s e-mail address in parentheses (e.g. "(firstname.lastname@example.org)") after the name. The instructions below will show how to split the name and e-mail address columns.
Note: Because this is the only way a student’s ID is recorded in Turnitin, students should be advised to only use their official Penn State e-mail.
- Insert a blank column after the Student column (usually column A).
- Highlight the Student column.
- Go to the Data tab (Windows) or Data menu (Mac) and select the option for Text to Columns.
- In the Text to Columns window, select the Delimited option. Click Next.
- Check the option for Other. Enter the left parenthesis character (i.e. "(") into the field, the click Next.
- Click Finish. The e-mail address will be split into column B.
- Format the data following instructions in the links above. Use the Find and Replace function to eliminate information from the e-mail field as needed.